NEW DELHI (AP) — India authorized two COVID-19 vaccines on Sunday, paving the way for a huge inoculation program to stem the coronavirus pandemic in the world’s second most populous country.
India’s drugs regulator gave an emergency authorization for the vaccines developed by Oxford University and U.K.-based drugmaker AstraZeneca and another developed by the Indian company Bharat Biotech.
Drugs Controller General Dr. Venugopal G Somani said that both vaccines will be administered in two dosages.
The country’s initial immunization plan aims to vaccinate 300 million people — health care workers, front-line staff including police and those considered vulnerable due to their age or other diseases — by August 2021.
The Serum Institute of India, the world’s largest vaccine manufacturing company, has been contracted by AstraZeneca to make a billion doses for developing nations, including India. On Friday, Britain became the first to approve the shot.
The other vaccine known as COVAXIN is developed by Bharat Biotech in collaboration with government agencies and is based on an inactivated form of the coronavirus. The company has completed only two of three trial phases. The third, which tests for efficacy, began in mid-November.
Early clinical studies showed that the vaccine doesn’t have any serious side effects and produces antibodies for COVID-19.
India, with nearly 1.4 billion people, is the second-worst affected by the coronavirus after the U.S., with over 10.3 million confirmed cases and 149,435 deaths, though its rate of infection has come down significantly from a mid-September peak.
An application for a vaccine made by Pfizer Inc. is still being reviewed.
- India’s drugs experts approve AstraZeneca, local COVID-19 vaccines [https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2021/01/03/indias-drugs-experts-approve-astrazeneca-local-covid-19-vaccines.html]
- BD to pay India’s Serum Institute on Sunday [https://dailyasianage.com/news/251411/bd-to-pay-indias-serum-institute-on-sunday]
- COVID-19: As Vaccine-Makers Press Ahead, Let’s Not Pretend Everything Is Okay [https://thewire.in/health/india-astrazeneca-vaccine-approval-uk-mhra-doubts-vaccine-apartheid-anti-vaxx]
- ‘COVID-19 vaccination drive based on election process planned down to booth level’: Harsh Vardhan [http://tehelka.com/covid-19-vaccination-drive-based-on-election-process-planned-down-to-booth-level-harsh-vardhan/]
- Covid-19 vaccination drive based on election process, says Harsh Vardhan [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/covid-19-vaccination-drive-based-on-election-process-says-harsh-vardhan-121010300069_1.html]
- Post expert committee recommendation, DCGI to brief media today on vaccine [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/post-expert-committee-recommendation-dcgi-to-brief-media-today-on-vaccine-121010300082_1.html]
- US Covid-19 vaccine rollout falls short: Report [https://www.siasat.com/us-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-falls-short-report-2059352/]
- Vaccine Diplomacy: Indonesia Aims for National, Global Access [https://en.tempo.co/read/1419652/vaccine-diplomacy-indonesia-aims-for-national-global-access]
- Success of 1st phase COVID-19 vaccination to raise public confidence [https://en.antaranews.com/news/164840/success-of-1st-phase-covid-19-vaccination-to-raise-public-confidence]
- COVID-19 vaccination drive based on election process planned to booth level: Harsh Vardhan [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210103/3684642.html]
- Israel leads Covid-19 vaccine race with 1 million given jab Israel leads Covid-19 vaccine race with 1 million given jab [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/israel-leads-covid-19-vaccine-race-1-million-given-jab-180082]
- Australia to trial ‘backup’ COVID-19 vaccines that can be modified to fight virus mutations [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-03/backup-coronavirus-vaccines-to-be-trialled-in-australia/13028598]
- Bharat Biotech on course to have 26,000 volunteers for Phase-3 clinical trials of Covaxin [https://www.udayavani.com/english-news/bharat-biotech-on-course-to-have-26000-volunteers-for-phase-3-clinical-trials-of-covaxin]
- Covid-19: India eyes 4 vaccines in immunisation drive [https://www.khaleejtimes.com/coronavirus-pandemic/covid-19-india-eyes-4-vaccines-in-immunisation-drive]
- ‘Won’t compromise on any protocol in vaccine approval’ [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/01/03/wont-compromise-on-any-protocol-in-vaccine-approval/]
- Indian expert panel recommends Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin for restricted emergency use Indian expert panel recommends Bharat Biotech’s Covaxin for restricted emergency use [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/indian-expert-panel-recommends-bharat-biotechs-covaxin-restricted-emergency]
- Israel leading global race to vaccinate population against coronavirus [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-03/israel-leading-global-race-to-vaccinate-against-coronavirus/13028374]
- Australian vaccines ‘likely to be effective’ against COVID-19 mutations [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6219774731001]
- US not to follow UK’s decision to delay 2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccine: Fauci [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/us-not-to-follow-uk-s-decision-to-delay-2nd-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine-fauci-121010300046_1.html]
- AstraZeneca plans 2 million doses a week of vaccine for UK [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/01/03/astrazeneca-plans-2-million-doses-a-week-of-vaccine-for-uk/]
- State conducts dry run as vaccine dreams inch towards reality [https://theshillongtimes.com/2021/01/03/state-conducts-dry-run-as-vaccine-dreams-inch-towards-reality/]