NEW DELHI. KAZINFORM – India on Saturday allowed «restricted emergency use» of a vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University and the country’s indigenous COVID-19 vaccine developed by Bharat Biotech, the Health Ministry announced, Anadolu Agency reports.
Related news U.S. COVID-19 deaths top 350,000 — Johns Hopkins University Kazakh Health Minister names regions, cities in ‘red’ and ‘yellow’ zones for COVID-19 spread 22,833 patients under coronavirus treatment in Kazakhstan Kazakhstan’s daily COVID-19-like pneumonia cases fall sharply
According to an official statement, the Subject Expert Committee (SEC) of Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) – the country’s drug regulatory body — met on Friday and Saturday to discuss the approval request from the two drug manufacturers and also Phase-III trials of a vaccine manufactured by Cadila Healthcare.
The Serum Institute of India (SII) is manufacturing the Covishield vaccine developed by Oxford University and AstraZeneca.
Covaxin is made by Bharat Biotech in collaboration with the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR).
The committee also granted permission for Phase-III clinical trial to Ahmedabad-based Cadila Healthcare, which is also making a vaccine.
Earlier in the day, India’s Information and Broadcasting Minister Prakash Javadekar said during a news conference that one vaccine has received the nod for emergency use on Friday.
Officials say the final approval now lies with the country’s drug regulatory authority.
«As a public health intervention, the vaccines will put an end to lockdowns, night curfews and continued shutdown,» Dr Kapil Yadav, additional professor at Centre for Community Medicine, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, told Anadolu Agency.
He said the public health fraternity welcomes the clearance of Covishield and Covaxin vaccines by an expert group.
Talking about the Oxford vaccine, Professor Ramanan Laxminarayan, director of the Washington-based Center for Disease Dynamics, Economics and Policy, told Anadolu Agency: «There will certainly be challenges with cold chain and vaccinators in the months ahead, but I expect that India will perform better.»
He added that as much of the production capacity for this vaccine exists within India, it will be easier to carry out a successful vaccination program.
- Mayawati welcomes Covid-19 vaccine nod, urges govt to make it free for poor [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/mayawati-welcomes-covid-19-vaccine-nod-urges-govt-to-make-it-free-for-poor-121010300302_1.html]
- COVID-19 situation in Delhi under control, says Satyendar Jain [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210103/3684717.html]
- India’s Vaccine wait ends against COVID-19 as Serum Institute, Bharat Biotech get restricted emergency approval [http://tehelka.com/indias-vaccine-wait-ends-against-covid-19-as-serum-institute-bharat-biotech-get-restricted-emergency-approval/]
- Mayawati welcomes approval for COVID-19 vaccine [http://www.ptinews.com/news/12080561_Mayawati-welcomes-approval-for-COVID-19-vaccine.html]
- India approves AstraZeneca and local COVID vaccines, rollout soon [http://www.asahi.com/ajw/articles/14079079]
- COVID-19 vaccines 110 pc safe, impotency rumours complete nonsense: DCGI [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20210103/3684694.html]
- Covid19 vaccine approval to Serum Institute and Bharat Biotech [https://www.deshgujarat.com/2021/01/03/covid19-vaccine-approval-to-serum-institute-and-bharat-biotech/]
- India approves two Covid-19 vaccines for emergency use [https://www.malaymail.com/news/world/2021/01/03/india-approves-two-covid-19-vaccines-for-emergency-use/1936900]
- India OKs AstraZeneca and locally-made COVID-19 vaccines [https://wtop.com/asia/2021/01/india-oks-astrazeneca-and-locally-made-covid-19-vaccines/]
- Oxford-AstraZeneca, local COVID vaccines given urgent approval in India [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-03/oxford-astrazeneca,-local-covid-vaccines-given-urgent-approval/13028808]
- India approves emergency-use of two coronavirus vaccines [https://www.iol.co.za/news/world/india-approves-emergency-use-of-two-coronavirus-vaccines-a3c78909-7c17-49d6-846d-e3ddacda932e]
- India OKs AstraZeneca and locally-made COVID-19 vaccines [https://www.dailyherald.com/article/20210103/news/301039994/]
- India approves two Covid-19 vaccines for emergency use [https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2021/01/india-approves-two-covid-19-vaccines-for-emergency-use/]
- India approves Oxford’s, Bharat Biotech’s COVID-19 vaccines for restricted emergency use [https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news/india/india-approves-oxford-s-bharat-biotech-s-covid-19-vaccines-for-restricted-emergency-use-1.5328114]