India’s drug regulator is set to approve on Friday a coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University for emergency use, three sources with knowledge of the matter said, reports Reuters.The decision would pave the way for the vaccine’s rollout in the world’s second-most populous country which, after the United States, has the highest number of COVID-19 infections in the world. Britain and Argentina have already authorized the vaccine for urgent public use.
India’s Central Drugs Standard Control Organization (CDSCO), whose experts were meeting for the second time this week, could also approve a vaccine locally developed by Bharat Biotech, two of the sources said on condition of anonymity. “Both AstraZeneca and Bharat Biotech will get approval today,” said one of the sources. “All preparations are on with today’s date in mind.”
The other sources were less certain about Bharat Biotech’s prospects.”We are hopeful,” another source said about the vaccine developed with the government-run Indian Council of Medical Research. A CDSCO representative declined to comment. The group is meeting a day ahead of a nationwide trial run for vaccine delivery in the country with more than 10 million coronavirus infections.
More than 50 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have already been stockpiled by its local manufacturer, Serum Institute of India (SII), and one of the sources said the shots could start to be transported from cold storage to Indian states as early as Saturday.SII said in an email it would “wait for the final approval to come” before commenting.India’s government said on Wednesday that Pfizer Inc had sought more time to present data for emergency authorization of a vaccine it has developed with Germany’s BioNTech.
Leave Your Comments
- CDSCO expert panel recommends granting permission for restricted emergency use of Oxford COVID-19 vaccine in India [https://www.udayavani.com/english-news/cdsco-expert-panel-recommends-granting-permission-for-restricted-emergency-use-of-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-in-india]
- Coronavirus Vaccine dry run at 7 places in Telangana today [https://www.thehansindia.com/telangana/coronavirus-vaccine-dry-run-at-7-places-in-telangana-today-664920]
- A call for transparency in registration and purchasing of Covid-19 vaccines — Citizens’ Health Initiative [https://www.malaymail.com/news/what-you-think/2021/01/02/a-call-for-transparency-in-registration-and-purchasing-of-covid-19-vaccines/1936637]
- Herd immunity in China could be realized at end of 2021: expert [http://en.people.cn/n3/2021/0102/c90000-9805289.html]
- India readies for mega Covid vaccine rollout; phase 1 targets 300 million [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/india-readies-for-mega-covid-vaccine-rollout-phase-1-targets-300-million-121010200012_1.html]
- UK chief medical officers defend delay of second Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine doses [https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/01/health/uk-vaccine-doses-chief-medical-officers-intl/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fedition_world+%28RSS%3A+CNNi+-+World%29]
- Thailand to receive two million doses of COVID-19 vaccine February to April [https://www.pattayamail.com/thailandnews/thailand-to-receive-two-million-doses-of-covid-19-vaccine-february-to-april-339190]
- Dr Anthony Fauci says US will not delay second doses of Covid vaccine [https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/02/dr-anthony-fauci-says-us-will-not-delay-second-doses-of-covid-vaccine]
- Review meeting held over vaccine distribution in Gurugram [https://www.siasat.com/review-meeting-held-over-vaccine-distribution-in-gurugram-2058623/]
- SRI Lanka to decide on suitable Covid-19 vaccine soon [http://www.lankaweb.com/news/items/2021/01/01/sri-lanka-to-decide-on-suitable-covid-19-vaccine-soon/]
- UK allows mixing COVID-19 vaccines as experts warn of risks [https://nypost.com/2021/01/01/uk-allows-mixing-covid-19-vaccines-as-experts-warn-of-risks/]
- BioNTech founders warn of vaccine supply gaps [https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/biontech-founders-warn-of-vaccine-supply-gaps/articleshow/80063640.cms]
- No approval for Covaxin, expert panel seeks more data from Bharat Biotech [https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/healthcare/biotech/healthcare/no-approval-for-covaxin-expert-panel-seeks-more-data-from-bharat-biotech/articleshow/80063112.cms]