Washington – The United States has recorded more than 20 million cases of Covid-19, Johns Hopkins University said Friday in its real-time tally, as the New Year brought another grim milestone underlining the country’s struggle to quell the virus.
The US has so far registered 20,007,149 cases and 346,408 deaths in the pandemic, the Baltimore-based university said, making it the country with by far the highest official number of cases and the highest death toll.
On Wednesday alone, more than 3,900 people died of Covid-19 in the US, a new daily record, and experts believe the worst is yet to come as health care workers brace for a surge in cases and deaths after holiday gatherings.
More than 125,000 people are currently hospitalized with coronavirus — another record — according to the Covid Tracking Project.
The country has begun a mass campaign of vaccinations and nearly 2.8 million people have already received their first jabs, a figure well behind the 20 million inoculations that the administration of President Donald Trump promised by the end of the year.
More than 12 million doses have been distributed nationwide, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but efforts to vaccinate health workers and vulnerable people have been hampered by logistical problems and overstretched hospitals and clinics.
President-elect Joe Biden, who takes office on January 20, has criticized the troubled vaccine rollout, and this week confirmed that he would invoke the Korean War-era Defense Production Act to force private industry to step up production for the government.
- US coronavirus cases hit 20M mark, hospitalizations surpass 125,000 for second straight day [https://www.foxnews.com/health/us-coronavirus-cases-hospitalizations]
- U.S. surpasses 20 million COVID-19 cases as experts warn it’ll take months for vaccines to turn the tide [https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/u-s-surpasses-20-million-covid-19-cases-as-experts-warn-it-ll-take-months-for-vaccines-to-turn-the-tide-1.5250546]
- U.S. coronavirus cases eclipse 20 million [https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/01/us-coronavirus-cases-20-million-453275]
- US hits 20 million mark in COVID-19 cases [https://abc13.com/health/us-hits-20-million-mark-in-covid-19-cases/9260691/]
- US Passes 20 Million Coronavirus Cases [https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/us-passes-20-million-coronavirus-cases-2346690]
- US passes 20 million coronavirus cases: Johns Hopkins University [https://www.rfi.fr/en/us-passes-20-million-coronavirus-cases-johns-hopkins-university]
- December was the deadliest, most infectious month since start of pandemic [https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/december-was-deadliest-most-infectious-month-start-pandemic-n1252645]
- World hits record 15,000 daily COVID deaths on final day of 2020 [https://www.timesofisrael.com/world-hits-record-15000-daily-covid-deaths-on-final-day-of-2020/]
- US passes 20 million coronavirus cases [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2021/01/01/covid-spread-entirely-preventable-by-following-guidance-says-senior-medic/]
- Florida health officials detect the state’s first identified coronavirus variant case. [https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/31/world/florida-health-officials-detect-the-states-first-identified-coronavirus-variant-case.html]