BOSTON (WHDH) – Massachusetts General Hospital allergists offered reassurance that coronavirus vaccines can be administered safely to people with food and medication allergies.
The experts’ recent review published in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology: In Practice stated that allergic reactions to vaccines are rare with a rate of about 1.3 per 1 million people.
They stress that COVID-19 vaccine clinics monitor all patients for 15 to 30 minutes and manage any allergic reactions that occur.
“We’re detecting those few rare cases and the patients are getting the care they need expeditiously and on time and doing quite well,” said Dr. Kimberly Blumenthal, Massachusetts General Hospital quality and safety officer for allergy.
The review recommends that people with a history of anaphylaxis to an injectable drug or vaccine containing polyethylene glycol or polysorbate speak with their allergists before being vaccinated.
(Copyright (c) 2020 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)
- Coronavirus: WHO clears BioNTech’s vaccine for emergency use [https://theeagleonline.com.ng/coronavirus-who-clears-biontechs-vaccine-for-emergency-use/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=coronavirus-who-clears-biontechs-vaccine-for-emergency-use]
- CDSCO panel approves Oxford COVID-19 vaccine for emergency use [https://www.udayavani.com/english-news/cdsco-panel-approves-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-for-emergency-use]
- WHO lists Pfizer vaccine for emergency use [https://www.unian.info/world/covid-19-who-lists-pfizer-vaccine-for-emergency-use-11274191.html]
- DOST: Sinopharm wanted PH to fund local COVID-19 vaccine trial [https://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/343428/dost-sinopharm-wanted-ph-to-fund-local-covid-19-vaccine-trial.html]
- Joint cooperation with Cuba in coronavirus vaccine production ‘among priorities’: Iran official [https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2021/01/01/642010/Iran-Kianoush-Jahanpour-coronavirus-vaccine-Cuba]
- Travel under green lane arrangement affected after Indonesia’s temporary ban on foreigners [https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/travel-under-green-lane-arrangement-affected-after-indonesias-temporary-ban-on-foreigners]
- WHO grants emergency use approval for Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine WHO grants emergency use approval for Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/who-grants-emergency-use-approval-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-179413]
- Timeline: Key moments in China’s COVID-19 vaccine development [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267408975/timeline-key-moments-in-chinas-covid-19-vaccine-development]
- WHO approves Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine in breakthrough for developing nations [https://usnewslive247.blogspot.com/2021/01/who-approves-pfizerbiontech-vaccine-in.html]
- Have food allergy? Pfizer, Moderna Covid jabs safe, say experts [https://www.siasat.com/have-food-allergy-pfizer-moderna-covid-jabs-safe-say-experts-2058169/]