ARLINGTON (CBSDFW.COM) — The cold, wet weather didn’t keep residents in Tarrant County from waiting in line to get the COVID-19 vaccine on New Year’s Eve morning.
The Arlington Fire Department received a large shipment of the vaccine and had enough supplies to give some 300 people the injection.
Recipients did have to prove they met the qualifications: such as working in healthcare, or were in the Phase 1B group of residents over the age of 65, or older than 16 years old with a high-risk health condition.
“To me this is a matter of life and death,” said resident Omar Rutland. “So, that’s why I’m here.”
Elaine Formby drove to the Esports Stadium Arlington & Expo Center from Bedford. “We love to travel and we’re wanting… are anxious to get back to traveling and having a life,” she said.
The demand was greater than the available supply, which was given on a first-come-first-serve basis.
In a social media post fire officials said, “For those who are unable to receive the vaccine from this batch, please remain patient and understand we expect more as soon as next week.”
MORE FROM CBSDFW
- FDA asserts regulatory functions [https://manilastandard.net/news/top-stories/343397/fda-asserts-regulatory-functions.html]
- Vaccines take a while to kick in. Experts say that means the body is doing its job. [https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/12/31/how-vaccines-work]
- 42 people in West Virginia mistakenly given Regeneron antibody treatment instead of the coronavirus vaccine [https://abcnews.go.com/Health/42-people-west-virginia-mistakenly-regeneron-antibody-treatment/story?id=74993785]
- Only 25% of COVID-19 vaccines distributed have been administered [https://nypost.com/2020/12/31/only-25-of-covid-doses-distributed-have-been-administered/]
- Multiple Counties In Tampa Bay Area Now Accepting Appointments For Covid Vaccines As COVID Testing Sees Holiday Rush [https://tampa.cbslocal.com/2020/12/31/pasco-county-receives-3500-doses-of-covid-vaccine-now-accepting-appointments-2/]
- Florida’s decision to vaccinate seniors first causes distribution ‘chaos’ [https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-s-decision-vaccinate-seniors-first-causes-distribution-chaos-n1252615]
- Many front-line workers refuse Covid vaccines as distribution rollout struggles [https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/many-frontline-workers-refuse-covid-19-vaccines-distribution-rollout-struggles-n1252617]
- COVID Vaccines: Santa Clara County Reaches 100,000 Vaccinations; Officials Plead For Patience [https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2020/12/31/santa-clara-county-reaches-100000-covid-vaccinations-officials-plead-for-patience-caution/]
- Here’s why distribution of the vaccine is taking longer than expected [https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/12/31/heres-why-distribution-of-the-vaccine-is-taking-longer-than-expected]
- Doctors criticize UK health officials for changing Pfizer Covid vaccine plan [https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/31/doctors-criticize-uk-health-officials-for-changing-pfizer-covid-vaccine-plan-.html]
- Covid: 12-week vaccine gap defended by UK medical chiefs [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55503739]
- How safe would be Covid-19 vaccines? [http://tehelka.com/how-safe-would-be-covid-19-vaccines/]
- Small wonder: How Israel rolled up its sleeves and became vaccination nation [https://www.timesofisrael.com/small-wonder-how-israel-rolled-up-its-sleeves-and-became-vaccination-nation/]
- Hungary not to massively purchase Russian vaccine against COVID-19 [https://www.unian.info/world/vaccination-against-covid-19-hungary-not-to-purchase-russian-vaccine-11274035.html]
- Healthcare workers in Fort Bend Co. prepare for more vaccinations [https://abc13.com/health/healthcare-workers-in-fort-bend-co-prepare-for-more-vaccinations/9232358/]
- Inland Empire paramedics, EMTs start receiving coronavirus vaccine [https://www.pe.com/2020/12/31/inland-empire-paramedics-emts-start-receiving-coronavirus-vaccine/]
- EU reviews BioNTech request for ‘extra dose’ of virus shot [https://whdh.com/news/eu-reviews-biontech-request-for-extra-dose-of-virus-shot/]
- Hundreds Brave The Winter Weather In Arlington To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2020/12/31/chief-medical-officers-urge-colleagues-to-back-delay-of-second-covid-vaccination/]
- ‘It was a free for all’: Nurse at Mass General Brigham blasts system’s vaccine rollout [https://www.boston.com/news/coronavirus/2020/12/31/vaccine-rollout-mass-general-brigham]
- Fauci predicts normal life won’t return in U.S. before fall 2021 Trump misses 20 million Covid shot target POLITICO Pulse [https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/31/fauci-covid-normal-life-fall-2021-453055]
- Hundreds Brave The Winter Weather In Arlington To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2020/12/31/hospitals-must-see-sense-on-plans-to-delay-second-vaccine-dose-warns-union/]
- De Blasio Vows NYC Will Administer 1 Million Vaccine Doses By End Of January [https://gothamist.com/news/de-blasio-vows-nyc-will-administer-1-million-vaccine-doses-end-january]