SINGAPORE – The co-chairs of the multi-ministry taskforce will deliver ministerial statements in Parliament next Monday (Jan 4), on the Government’s response to Covid-19.
Health Minister Gan Kim Yong and Education Minister Lawrence Wong will address questions by MPs on various aspects of the coronavirus pandemic.
Eight MPs have asked about the Covid-19 vaccine roll-out, according to the agenda set in the Order Paper issued by the Clerk of Parliament on Thursday (Dec 31).
Ms Foo Mee Har (West Coast GRC) asked for details of rollout plans, while Workers’ Party MP He Ting Ru (Sengkang GRC) wanted to know about measures to assuage ground concerns about the safety of the Covid-19 vaccine.
Mr Lim Biow Chuan (Mountbatten) asked about Singapore’s national contact tracing programme TraceTogether.
Singapore had on Monday moved to its third phase of reopening and began its Covid-19 vaccination exercise two days later.
MPs also sought updates on other issues.
Ms Tin Pei Ling (MacPherson) and WP MP Leon Perera (Aljunied GRC) asked about plans to live-stream parliamentary proceedings to the public.
In September, Minister for Communications and Information S. Iswaran said the Government agreed in principle to live-stream these proceedings, and that his ministry would study the technical and implementation details.
Five MPs filed questions on the issue of some 90 breast cancer patients who may have received unnecessary treatment since 2012, due to inaccurate test results by Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH).
Dr Tan Wu Meng (Jurong GRC), an oncologist, asked what is being done to help these patients and what measures are being taken to ensure the fidelity of laboratory tests. Progress Singapore Party Non-Constituency MP Hazel Poa wants to know what are the reasons for the wrong test results.
The Ministry of Health has said that it takes a serious view of the incident and has requested the hospital review other laboratory protocols beyond those for the affected tests as a safety precaution.
According to KTPH, side effects from the drug given to the affected patients may include diarrhoea, chills and fever. In about 3 per cent to 4 per cent of cases, patients may also experience heart problems.
Four Bills will be debated, including the Payment Services (Amendment) Bill, which involves strengthening measures that regulate virtual payment services providers to counter money laundering and terrorist financing.
Mr Louis Ng (Nee Soon GRC) filed an adjournment motion on providing more help for those undergoing in-vitro fertilisation (IVF).
In a Facebook post on Wednesday, he said: “I know that going through IVF is an exhausting, emotional and physically demanding journey. It’s not easy and we can and should do more to help those who are trying so hard to have kids.”
Senior staff nurse at NCID receives first Covid-19 vaccine in Singapore
8 key questions on Singapore’s planned vaccine roll-out
Preliminary tests show two more in Singapore have UK Covid-19 strain
Senior staff nurse at NCID receives first Covid-19 vaccine in Singapore
US nurse tests positive over a week after receiving first dose of Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine
Tokyo governor warns of possible ‘explosion’ in Covid-19 cases
Spike in Covid-19 infections in Beijing causes alarm, sparks greater curbs
Thailand clears use of herbal medicine for Covid-19 treatment
US doctor reports serious allergic reaction after getting Moderna’s Covid-19 vaccine
Spain to keep registry of people who refuse Covid-19 vaccine
Wuhan’s Covid-19 cases may have been 10 times higher, study shows
Hong Kong extends Covid-19 quarantine for visitors to 21 days
- Pakistan to purchase 1.2 million COVID-19 vaccine doses from China’s Sinopharm [https://dailytimes.com.pk/708199/pakistan-to-purchase-1-2-million-covid-19-vaccine-doses-from-chinas-sinopharm/]
- Vaccinated US nurse contracts Covid-19, expert says Pfizer shot needed more time to work – ABC [https://dailytimes.com.pk/708212/vaccinated-us-nurse-contracts-covid-19-expert-says-pfizer-shot-needed-more-time-to-work-abc/]
- US vaccinations in 2020 falling far short of target of 20 million people US vaccinations in 2020 falling far short of target of 20 million people [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/us-vaccinations-2020-falling-far-short-target-20-million-people-179206]
- ‘Probably in new wear’: India’s drug controller hints at vaccine approval soon ‘Probably in new wear’: India’s drug controller hints at vaccine approval soon [https://tbsnews.net/coronavirus-chronicle/probably-new-wear-indias-drug-controller-hints-vaccine-approval-soon-179125]
- SA was right to choose Covax rather than one vaccine supplier, says health DDG [https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2020-12-31-sa-was-right-to-choose-covax-rather-than-one-supplier-says-health-ddg/]
- China Gives First COVID-19 Vaccine Approval to Sinopharm [https://en.tempo.co/read/1419130/china-gives-first-covid-19-vaccine-approval-to-sinopharm]
- China gives its first COVID-19 vaccine approval to Sinopharm [https://www.azernews.az/region/174576.html]
- China gives free jabs, takes a shot at West’s drugs [https://asiatimes.com/2020/12/china-gives-free-jabs-takes-a-shot-at-wests-drugs/]
- First Doses of Pfizer’s Vaccine to Arrive in Macedonia in February [https://skopjediem.com/2020/12/31/first-doses-of-pfizers-vaccine-to-arrive-in-macedonia-in-february/]
- China approves 1st homegrown coronavirus vaccine amid concerns China overcomes pandemic, achieves economic development: Xi [https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2020/12/fa409de00c25-china-approves-1st-homegrown-coronavirus-vaccine-amid-concerns.html]
- Covid: What is the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine? [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55302595]
- When will you be eligible for the Covid vaccine? [https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55045639]
- Algeria Picks Russian Sputnik V Vaccine For Vaccination Campaign [https://www.moroccoworldnews.com/2020/12/330204/algeria-picks-russian-sputnik-v-vaccine-for-vaccination-campaign/]
- Local funding crisis threatens U.S. vaccine rollout [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-vaccines-distribut/local-funding-crisis-threatens-u-s-vaccine-rollout-idUSKBN295135]
- Employee intentionally removed COVID-19 vaccine from fridge, ruining more than 500 doses, hospital says; FBI investigating [https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/12/31/wisconsin-covid-19-vaccine-ruined-aurora-employee/4097416001/]
- Russia to supply Algeria, Bolivia with Sputnik V vaccine [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/31/bolivia-algeria-sign-vaccine-deals-for-russias-sputnik-v]
- How does AstraZeneca’s vaccine compare with Pfizer-BioNTech? [https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/healthcare/biotech/healthcare/how-does-astrazenecas-vaccine-compare-with-pfizer-biontech/articleshow/80045696.cms]
- Shots First, Questions Later: UK’s New COVID-19 Vaccine Rollout Approach [https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/shots-first-questions-later-britains-new-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-approach-2346118]
- US hits record daily COVID-19 deaths as world looks to vaccines in 2021 [https://www.rawstory.com/us-hits-record-daily-19-deaths-as-world-looks-to-vaccines-in-2021/]
- World risks ‘moral catastrophe’ if COVID shots delayed in Africa, its CDC chief says [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-africa/world-risks-moral-catastrophe-if-covid-shots-delayed-in-africa-its-cdc-chief-says-idUSKBN2950ZE]
- China grants approval for its first COVID vaccine: Live [https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/12/31/world-to-mark-new-years-eve-under-covid-19-restrictions-live]
- China’s Fosun plans plant to make BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine: Caixin [https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/international/world-news/chinas-fosun-plans-plant-to-make-biontechs-covid-19-vaccine-caixin/articleshow/80045353.cms]
- Wisconsin Hospital Employee Fired After Intentionally Spoiling 500 Doses of Moderna’s Covid Vaccine [https://sputniknews.com/us/202012311081620114-wisconsin-hospital-employee-fired-after-intentionally-spoiling-500-doses-of-modernas-covid-vaccine/]
- S. Korea plans to roll out its own Covid-19 vaccine late next year [https://www.siasat.com/s-korea-plans-to-roll-out-its-own-covid-19-vaccine-late-next-year-2057462/]
- ‘We will have a very happy new year’: Regulator hints vax rollout is close [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/we-will-have-a-very-happy-new-year-regulator-hints-vax-rollout-is-close-120123100748_1.html]
- Kosovo gets ready to receive the vaccine before February, Minister Zemaj: Over 1 million citizens will be vaccinated [https://rti.rtsh.al/article/kosovo-gets-ready-to-receive-the-vaccine-before-february-minister-zemaj-over-1-million-citizens-will-be-vaccinated]
- Dr Mahathir: Covid-19 vaccine deals should be public as they involve taxpayers’ funds [https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/12/31/dr-mahathir-covid-19-vaccine-deals-should-be-public-as-they-involve-taxpaye/1936317]
- Health ministry to sign new contracts for supply of COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.unian.info/society/covid-19-health-ministry-to-sign-new-contracts-for-supply-of-vaccine-11273684.html]
- Vaccination campaign kicks off on last day of 2020 [https://monacolife.net/vaccination-campaign-kicks-off-on-last-day-of-2020/]
- World risks ‘moral catastrophe’ if COVID shots delayed in Africa, its CDC chief says [https://news.trust.org/item/20201231100703-ru7jg/]
- COVID-19 vaccines, Khoo Teck Puat Hospital unnecessary treatment to be discussed in Parliament on Jan 4 [https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/parliament-discuss-covid-19-vaccines-khoo-teck-puat-hospital-13871832]
- Florida’s first-come, first-serve COVID-19 vaccination plan for the elderly leads to scramble [https://whdh.com/news/floridas-first-come-first-serve-covid-19-vaccination-plan-for-the-elderly-leads-to-scramble/]
- National Operational Headquarters: High demand for Covid-19 vaccination from day one [https://bnr.bg/en/post/101397345/national-operational-headquarters-high-demand-for-covid-19-vaccination-from-day-one]
- SA to get firm date on delivery of vaccine by early January [https://www.iol.co.za/news/sa-to-get-firm-date-on-delivery-of-vaccine-by-early-january-7ab0f781-f6aa-5ba6-9193-93051c64855e]
- FACTBOX | Vaccine approvals move forward: Latest on worldwide spread of the coronavirus [https://www.news24.com/news24/World/News/factbox-vaccine-approvals-move-forward-latest-on-worldwide-spread-of-the-coronavirus-20201231]
- Digital Receipts for COVID Vaccinations Spark Concerns About ‘Two-Tiered Society’ & ‘Data Grab’ [https://sputniknews.com/us/202012311081618344-digital-receipts-for-covid-vaccinations-spark-concerns-about-two-tiered-society–data-grab/]
- Top Houston-area doctor gets blunt about slow COVID-19 vaccine rollout [https://abc13.com/health/top-houston-area-doctor-gets-blunt-about-slow-vaccine-rollout/9199947/]
- Hope, scepticism as Moscow launches vaccination drive [https://www.rfi.fr/en/hope-scepticism-as-moscow-launches-vaccination-drive]
- Just 23% of available COVID-19 vaccine doses have been given out in Harris County [https://abc13.com/health/less-than-1-4-of-vaccine-doses-given-out-in-harris-co/9208714/]
- Pakistan to purchase Covid-19 vaccine from China’s Sinopharm [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/pakistan-to-purchase-covid-19-vaccine-from-china-s-sinopharm-120123100641_1.html]
- Israel juggles supplies, pace in bid for full vaccination of at-risk groups [https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-israel/israel-juggles-supplies-pace-in-bid-for-full-vaccination-of-at-risk-groups-idUSKBN2950UC]
- What is Pneumosil, India’s 1st indigenously created pneumococcal vaccine? [https://www.udayavani.com/english-news/what-is-pneumosil-indias-1st-indigenously-created-pneumococcal-vaccine]
- ‘We’re being left behind’: anger and confusion in Brazil as vaccine program lags [https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/31/brazil-coronavirus-vaccine-jair-bolsonaro]