Covid-19: Ghana, other developing countries to get vaccine after 2022 – EIU report 3 News Thu 31st Dec, 2020 20:01
Covid-19: Ghana, other developing countries to get vaccine after 2022 – EIU report
The Economist Intelligence Unit’s (EIU) economic and political forecasts for 2021 onwards has revealed that coronavirus vaccines will not be available in quantities large enough in the coming months to be game-changing.
The EIU said they therefore, maintain their view that a vaccine will not start to be rolled out widely in developed economies before mid-2021.
Access to the vaccine will be difficult initially as all developed countries race to acquire sufficient quantities and poorer countries struggle to secure funding, it added.
“As a result, the rollout in middle-income and emerging countries will take much longer; we do not expect it to take place at a game-changing scale before 2022. The picture appears even bleaker for low-income countries; we do not expect most of these states to have wide access to a vaccine before 2022-23,” the EIU stated.
“Recent announcements that several coronavirus vaccines are effective have not altered The Economist Intelligence Unit’s economic and political forecasts for 2021 onwards. Although positive, these announcements represent only first, limited steps towards the development of safe and effective immunisation programmes.
“The vaccines will not be available in quantities large enough in the coming months to be game-changing. Logistics and shipping will also be difficult. We, therefore, maintain our view that a vaccine will not start to be rolled out widely in developed economies before mid-2021.
“Access to the vaccine will be difficult initially as all developed countries race to acquire sufficient quantities and poorer countries struggle to secure funding. As a result, the rollout in middle-income and emerging countries will take much longer; we do not expect it to take place at a game-changing scale before 2022.
“The picture appears even bleaker for low-income countries; we do not expect most of these states to have wide access to a vaccine before 2022-23.
“The map depicts our current assumptions for the global rollout of coronavirus vaccines, showing when we expect the shots to be widely available for the general population in each country (after priority or special groups have been vaccinated).
By Laud Nartey|3news.com|Ghana, with additional files from the EIU
The post Covid-19: Ghana, other developing countries to get vaccine after 2022 – EIU report appeared first on 3NEWS.
Read Full Story Advertise Here contact ads[@]ghheadlines.com Related Items Health Major Top Story2 Top News coronavirus EIU
- New Covid-19 strain enters China after UK returnee tests positive [https://www.business-standard.com/article/international/new-covid-19-strain-enters-china-after-uk-returnee-tests-positive-121010100033_1.html]
- WHO approves Pfizer vaccine for emergency use, paving way for rollout to countries in need [https://globalnews.ca/news/7549449/who-pfizer-vaccine-emergency-use-approval/]
- WHO grants emergency approval for Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine [https://www.france24.com/en/health/20201231-who-gives-emergency-approval-for-pfizer-vaccine-1]
- WHO approves Pfizer’s coronavirus vaccine for emergency use [https://www.foxnews.com/health/who-approves-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine]
- Egypt’s Health Ministry, Chinese amb. sign MoU to enhance vaccine cooperation [https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/1/95955/Egypt%E2%80%99s-Health-Ministry-Chinese-amb-sign-MoU-to-enhance-vaccine]
- Coronavirus: WHO grants first emergency use validation to BioNTech-Pfizer COVID vaccine [https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-who-grants-first-emergency-use-validation-to-biontech-pfizer-covid-vaccine/a-56107389]
- Probably we will have a very happy New Year: DCGI [https://www.thehansindia.com/news/national/probably-we-will-have-a-very-happy-new-year-dcgi-664707]
- WHO Grants “Emergency Validation” To Pfizer Covid Vaccine [https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/who-grants-emergency-validation-to-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-2346287]
- WHO Announces Validation of Pfizer-BioNTech Vaccine for Emergency Use [https://sputniknews.com/world/202012311081622795-who-announces-validation-of-pfizer-biontech-vaccine-for-emergency-use/]
- China gives approval to Sinopharm vaccine [https://dailyasianage.com/news/251217/china-gives-approval-to–sinopharm-vaccine]
- World risks ‘moral catastrophe’ if COVID shots delayed in Africa, its CDC chief says [https://wardheernews.com/world-risks-moral-catastrophe-if-covid-shots-delayed-in-africa-its-cdc-chief-says/]
- Goodbye 2020 Hello 2021 [http://thedailynewnation.com/news/273811/goodbye-2020-hello-2021.html]
- Government could evaluate AstraZeneca, Covaxin: Dr Vijay Bhaskar [https://news.webindia123.com/news/Articles/India/20201231/3683665.html]
- Year of the vaccine [https://manilastandard.net/opinion/editorial/343386/year-of-the-vaccine.html]
- Pakistan to purchase 1.2m vaccine doses from China’s Sinopharm [https://dailyasianage.com/news/251149/pakistan-to-purchase-12m-vaccine-doses-from-chinas-sinopharm]
- Africa battles Covid-19 second wave as vaccines expected to delay [https://www.africanews.com/2020/12/31/africa-battles-covid-19-second-wave-as-vaccines-expected-to-delay/]