The coronavirus vaccine developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University, which was approved Wednesday in Britain, is unlikely to get a green light in the European Union in the next month, according to the European Medicines Agency (EMA).
The regulator, charged with overseeing vaccines’ authorisation in the EU before they can be marketed, approved the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine on December 21. It is expected to rule on Moderna’s vaccine on January 6.
But an EU ruling on the AstraZeneca-Oxford jab will take some time.
“Additional scientific information on issues related to quality, safety and efficacy of the vaccine is deemed necessary to support the rigour required for a conditional marketing authorisation (CMA) and this has been requested from the company,” the EMA said in a statement.
“Further information from the ongoing clinical trials is also expected from January.”
The Amsterdam-based agency earlier told AFP that it had not yet received any formal marketing authorisation and that it had set no timetable for approving the vaccine.
The regulator’s deputy executive director Noel Walthion told Belgian newspaper Het Nieuwsblad on Tuesday that a possible approval in January is “unlikely”.
The AstraZeneca-Oxford vaccine is currently undergoing a “rolling review” which allows the EMA to examine safety and efficacy data as they are released, even before a formal application for authorisation is filed by the manufacturer.
This procedure speeds up the evaluation of a marketing authorisation application once it is made, the EMA said.
The agency said Wednesday it is “aware that the UK MHRA has granted a temporary authorisation of supply of the vaccine in the emergency use setting, which is distinct from a marketing authorisation.”
An AstraZeneca spokesperson told AFP it “has submitted a full data package to support an application for conditional marketing authorisation for the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine to the European Medicines Agency.”
The spokesperson added: “AstraZeneca has been submitting data on a rolling basis and will continue to work closely with the EMA to support the start of a formal CMA application process.”
Britain is the first country in the world to approve the vaccine, which is cheaper to produce and easier to store and transport than the Pfizer-BioNTech jab.
For EU countries, it is up to the European Commission in Brussels to issue the final green light after EMA approval.
Inoculations with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine began in the 27-member bloc over the weekend.
Leave Your Comments
- AstraZeneca vaccine approval unlikely in January: EU [https://guernseypress.com/news/uk-news/2020/12/31/freeman-vaccinating-over-50s-in-scotland-by-spring-depends-on-supplies/]
- Second Batch of Sinovac Vaccines Arrive in Soekarno-Hatta [https://en.tempo.co/read/1419082/second-batch-of-sinovac-vaccines-arrive-in-soekarno-hatta]
- 25 nursing homes to receive coronavirus vaccine from Monday [https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1231/1187079-vaccine/]
- Coronavirus: Cyprus expects 600,000 AstraZeneca vaccines, awaiting EMA approval [https://cyprus-mail.com/2020/12/31/coronavirus-cyprus-expects-600000-astrazeneca-vaccines-awaiting-ema-approval/]
- China approves Sinopharm Covid-19 vaccine, promises free shots for all citizens [https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/30/asia/china-sinopharm-vaccine-efficacy-intl-hnk/index.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fedition_world+%28RSS%3A+CNNi+-+World%29]
- Pakistan to purchase vaccine from China’s Sinopharm: health authority [https://www.chinanationalnews.com/news/267400410/pakistan-to-purchase-vaccine-from-chinas-sinopharm-health-authority]
- Coronavirus vaccine drive races on as infections, deaths mount [https://www.timesofisrael.com/coronavirus-vaccine-drive-races-on-as-infections-deaths-mount/]
- China’s first vaccine hustled to market as race to inoculate 1.3bn speeds up [https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/news/2020/12/chinas-first-vaccine-hustled-to-market-as-race-to-inoculate-1-3bn-speeds-up/]
- Questions hang over UK’s rollout of Oxford/AstraZeneca jab [https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/30/questions-hang-over-uks-rollout-of-oxfordastrazeneca-jab]
- Unpad, Bio Farma team up in two COVID-19 candidate vaccines research [https://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2020/12/30/unpad-bio-farma-team-up-in-two-covid-19-candidate-vaccines-research.html]
- China OKs 1st homegrown vaccine said to be 79.3% effective [https://thehimalayantimes.com/world/china-oks-1st-homegrown-vaccine-said-to-be-79-3-effective/]
- China gives conditional approval to Sinopharm COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.todayonline.com/world/china-gives-conditional-approval-sinopharm-covid-19-vaccine]
- Pakistan to purchase 1.2 million COVID-19 vaccine doses from China’s Sinopharm [https://www.todayonline.com/world/pakistan-purchase-12-million-covid-19-vaccine-doses-chinas-sinopharm]
- US hits record daily Covid-19 deaths as world looks to vaccines in 2021 [https://www.news24.com/news24/World/News/us-hits-record-daily-covid-19-deaths-as-world-looks-to-vaccines-in-2021-20201231]
- China gives approval for Sinopharm’s Covid-19 vaccine [https://www.khaleejtimes.com/world/rest-of-asia/china-gives-approval-for-sinopharms-covid-19-vaccine]
- Singapore begins COVID-19 vaccinations, marking ‘new chapter’ in virus fight [https://www.intellasia.net/singapore-begins-covid-19-vaccinations-marking-new-chapter-in-virus-fight-2-850026]
- Oxford AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine becomes second jab approved in the UK [https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6219103043001]
- UK approves AstraZeneca/Oxford COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.intellasia.net/uk-approves-astrazenecaoxford-covid-19-vaccine-850053]
- China gives conditional approval for Sinopharm’s COVID-19 vaccine [https://www.todayonline.com/world/china-gives-conditional-approval-cnbgs-covid-19-vaccine]
- Shots first, questions later: Britain’s new COVID-19 vaccine rollout approach [https://www.todayonline.com/world/shots-first-questions-later-britains-new-covid-19-vaccine-rollout-approach]
- Argentina authorises use of AstraZeneca vaccine against coronavirus [https://www.business-standard.com/article/current-affairs/argentina-authorises-use-of-astrazeneca-vaccine-against-coronavirus-120123100163_1.html]
- China Gives Conditional Approval to the Sinopharm Vaccine [https://time.com/5925600/china-approval-sinopharm-vaccine/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+time%2Fworld+%28TIME%3A+Top+World+Stories%29]
- 10 cold rooms and nine freezer rooms to be set up to store Covid-19 vaccines [https://kathmandupost.com/health/2020/12/30/10-cold-rooms-and-nine-freezer-rooms-to-be-set-up-to-store-covid-19-vaccines]
- Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine has been authorised in the UK. Here’s why this is a key moment [https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-31/oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine-authorised-in-uk-britain-covid/13023754]
- Fauci says US can return to normal by fall if it puts aside slow start and is diligent about vaccinations [https://whdh.com/news/fauci-says-us-can-return-to-normal-by-fall-if-it-puts-aside-slow-start-and-is-diligent-about-vaccinations/]
- Vaccinated U.S. nurse contracts COVID-19, expert says Pfizer shot needed more time to work -ABC [https://www.todayonline.com/world/california-nurse-tests-positive-over-week-after-receiving-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-abc-0]
- Nine in 10 Koreans willing to get COVID-19 vaccination [https://www.intellasia.net/nine-in-10-koreans-willing-to-get-covid-19-vaccination-849970]